If you’re holding out for a white Christmas in Melbourne, we could probably interest you in some swampland along Alligator Alley.
But even in Florida you can celebrate a white Christmas with your smile. At least you can if you come into Implant Dentistry of Florida and have our Zoom! in-office teeth whitening treatment. That way your smile will be bright and gleaming for all your holiday get-togethers that are just around the corner.
Why do my teeth stain?
Enamel, the great protector of your teeth, is tough. It actually is the hardest structure in your entire body. But it’s also slightly porous, allowing your teeth to breathe just a bit. That porosity allows stains to get into the enamel and stick. Here are the culprits behind your stained chompers:
- Food— Blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, even dark chocolate have natural pigments in them that can stain the enamel of your teeth.
- Drink— Coffee, tea, red wine, cranberry and other dark juices, even cola soft drinks all can stain your teeth.
- Smoking— Nicotine leaves yellow stains on your teeth.
- Fluorosis— If a child has too much fluoride, it can cause this condition, which stains the teeth. This staining is in the dentin.
- Drugs— In the 60s and 70s tetracycline was a heavily used antibiotic, especially in children. Unfortunately, in many kids it permanently discolored their teeth.
- Genes— The enamel on some people’s teeth is darker than others. Also some people have enamel that is more porous and stains easier.
Unfortunately, teeth whitening doesn’t work on interior staining from drug reactions and the like. If you have those types of stains, Dr. Brown or Dr. Vaughn can place porcelain veneers to cover the stained teeth.
What is your Zoom! treatment like?
This is the Zoom! process:
- First, we clean your teeth.
- Next we place a barrier over your lips and gums to protect them.
- We place a small appliance just inside the lips to hold them away from the teeth.
- Professional strength hydrogen peroxide gel with pH booster is applied to each tooth.
- The Zoom! blue light is used to activate the gel for about 15 minutes.
- We then remove the gel and clean off your whiter teeth.
- We may re-apply and use the Zoom! activation light again, depending on your amount of staining.
Interested in a white Christmas when you smile? Call us at Implant Dentistry of Florida and schedule your teeth whitening session before the parties begin, (321) 372-7700.